|Ocean FTP Server
Help, configuration and tips.
A key feature of Ocean FTP Server is the Remote Admin facility. Few FTP servers offer such a flexible and powerful Remote Admin system which can control every aspect of the server through any standard web browser on any operating system. The Remote Admin facility is also designed to be completely secure by allowing you to set a password and also restrict the power of Remote Admin to a certain area of the hard drive.
Controlling Remote Admin
Here is a list of the available controls for Remote Admin...
- Enable Remote Admin - This allows you to control whether the Remote Admin facility is enabled.
- Accept Connections on Port - This allows you to hide Remote Admin on a port of your choice (the default is 7088). To access the Remote Admin on any given port, simply use an URL like http://yourdomainorip:yourport (eg. http://192.168.0.1:7088).
- Listen Only on IP - This option allows you to bind the listening port to a single IP address. If an host name is provided then it will be converted to an IP address which will then be used for binding.
- Password - This password is required to access the Remote Admin facility.
- Limit to Folder - For added security, this option will ensure that Remote Admin only has access to certain drives or folders. This limitation could also be used to setup Remote Admin for use by a friend or colleague while still ensuring that the FTP server remains as secure as possible.
Using Remote Admin
When connecting to Remote Admin with your browser, you will be presented with a login screen. Once you have logged in using the above password, you will enter Remote Admin and be presented with the main menu. The design of the Remote Admin interface is almost exactly the same as the normal interface and so navigating the controls should be straight forward. The Remote Admin gives access to all available controls and options with the exception of controlling the behavior of Remote Admin itself (for security reasons). Once you have finished in Remote Admin it is important that you select the 'Log Out' button on the left side of the page. This will help protect your FTP server and keep Remote Admin secure.